Relics of the Passion
The Relics of the Passion presentation is organized into a one-hour meditative program with supporting musical pieces that serve as a guide to help you accompany Jesus through His suffering during the Passion. The program ends with an opportunity for personal veneration of the relics.
Our program for 2018 is entitled Call from the Crucified Heart. It is designed to highlight a facet of what we believe Christ’s message is to us from various scenes during His Passion. We have also made exposition of the Holy Eucharist a required part of the meditative portion of our presentation, to underscore that time-transcending gift that connects us from His Passion to His Presence with us today. As a tribute to Our Lady of Sorrows, our program also highlights a perspective on Mary as she accompanied Jesus on the path to Calvary.
The collection includes 8 rare holy relics that would only be seen in collections generally found in Rome or the Holy Land. Included are:
- The relic of the True Cross
- A piece of stone from the table or room where the Last Supper was held
- A piece of the Column of Flagellation
- A piece of the Crown of Thorns
- The effigy of the Veil of Veronica (touched to the original veil)
- A replica of the holy nail which contains filings taken from the true nails that were imbedded in copies to make relics of a lower class
- A piece of bone from St. Longinus, the centurion that pierced the side of Jesus
- A thread from the cloth used as the wrapping for the Burial Shroud.
Our standard presentation with the meditations is approximately one hour long. There is always the added variable for veneration which lasts as long as people are coming forth for veneration. For each event the Apostolate for Holy Relics provides:
- The 8 relics that make up the Relics of the Passion collection.
- Official documentation for each of the relics is provided to the pastor or rector of the church or shrine hosting a Relics of the Passion event as confirmation and assurance of the validity of these artifacts.
- Pedestals with linens for each relic.
- The entire program of introduction, meditations, prayers and intercessions with the accompanying music arrangements (sheet music).
- Ten posters mailed ahead of time to help promote the event. Sample bulletin pulpit announcements are also sent to the event venue.
- Background setups are provided (we have our own icons and stand up banners).
- If the pastor has no objections, we ask the State level Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree Team to participate in the event for processionals. We have worked successfully with them for the past several years in many states. They add a significant element of reverence to the overall event. They also hold the relics, except for the True Cross, for veneration. If they aren't involved we ask the pastor to select seven couples to bring the relics into the church and we ask that there be seven individuals assigned to hold the relics for veneration.
- Prayer cards containing the Prayer Before a Crucifix, compliments of the Knights of Columbus.
- A violinist and sometimes our own cantor.
- Added details regarding the specifics of what's involved can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions.